Democracy and its alternatives
DVD - 2022
"Chances are, you live in a democracy. You elect representatives that swear allegiance to and abide by a written or living constitution. Your nation is one of laws, courts, and central banks. Perhaps you're even involved in politics. But what do you really know about politics--in your own country, certainly, but also around the world? What characteristics do democracies share? How do they differ? And what can alternatives to democracy--namely, authoritarianism and dictatorship--teach u...s about democracy itself? Democracy and Its Alternatives tackles these questions in 24 lectures designed and led by Ethan Hollander, professor of political science at Wabash College. This course is American politics, comparative politics, international relations, and political theory rolled into one, touching on everything from Jean-Jacques Rousseau's social contract theory to Europe's sovereign debt crisis in 2007. It is an effort to understand democracy from all available angles--in theory and in practice, from ancient Greece to revolutionary America--the good and the bad, its present and its future."--Publisher's website.
- Great courses.
- Educational films
Video recordings for the hearing impaired
Chantilly, VA :
The Great Courses
- Item Description
- "The Great courses, Topic: History ; Subtopic: Modern history--World"--Cover.
"Course no. 8038"--Container and disc labels.
Originally produced in 2021.
24 lectures lasting approximately 23 minutes each.
Program content: ©2021.
- Physical Description
- 4 videodiscs (approximately 552 min.) : digital ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 course guidebook (ii, 151 pages : illustrations, maps ; 19 cm)
- DVD; NTSC; widescreen presentation.
- Accompanying course guidebook includes bibliographical references.
- Main Author
- Corporate Author
- Other Authors
- , , , , ,
- Disc 1.
- Is democracy built to last ;
- Politics and personal sacrifice ;
- Government and the invention of law ;
- The rise of the modern state ;
- Nations, nationalism, and the Kurds ;
- Why care about Hobbes, Locke, and Rousseau
- Disc 2.
- Who gets to vote? ;
- Voters and the dangers of too much democracy ;
- Should presidents or parliaments lead? ;
- The vote counter decides everything ;
- Do political parties help or hurt? ;
- The problems with Federalism
- Disc 3.
- Are courts and constitutions democratic? ;
- The controversial politics of central banks ;
- Who backs authoritarians? ;
- The dictator's playbook ;
- When states fail, what comes next? ;
- Partition, peacekeeping, and human crisis
- Disc 4.
- What really causes wealth and poverty? ;
- The global fault lines of trade ;
- Is the European Union a success or failure? ;
- When the balance of power breaks down ;
- Why it's so hard to work together ;
- Gridlock and democracy.