After the plague
DVD - 2022
Expand on--and even challenge--what you've learned about the Black Death and the medieval period with After the Plague, a 24-lecture course on the impact of the bubonic plague across the continent. With expert Simon Doubleday, professor of history at Hofstra University, explore the trajectory and after-effects of one of the deadliest pandemics in world history.
- Great courses.
- Educational films
Video recordings for the hearing impaired
Chantilly, VA :
The Great Courses
- Item Description
- "The Great courses, Topic: History ; Subtopic: Civilization & culture"--Cover.
"Course no. 8260"--Container and disc labels.
Originally produced in 2021.
24 lectures lasting approximately 26 minutes each.
Program content: ©2022.
- Physical Description
- 4 videodiscs (628 min.) : sound, color. ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 course guidebook (iii, 203 pages : illustrations ; 19 cm)
- DVD; NTSC; widescreen presentation.
- Accompanying course guidebook includes bibliographical references (pages 195-202).
- Main Author
- Corporate Author
- Other Authors
- , ,
- Disc 1.
- Resilience: rethinking the Black Death ;
- Medieval globalization and the Black Death ;
- Death ships: the spread of plague in Europe ;
- Children, plague, and grief ;
- Famine, flood, and earthquakes ;
- Plague medicine: opium, gold, poison clouds
- Disc 2.
- Filth: how medieval cities fought the plague ;
- Laughter and joy: Boccaccio's Decameron ;
- Wives, widows, and witches ;
- Justice in the age of Robin Hood ;
- Into the sky: how plague changed faith ;
- Astrology, apocalypse, and plague
- Disc 3.
- Travel and wanderlust: Sir John Mandeville ;
- Plague in the Islamic world ;
- Jewish experiences of the Black Death ;
- Revolution in Rome: Cola di Rienzo ;
- Uprising in France: the Jacquerie ;
- England: the Black Death and economic change
- Disc 4.
- The peasants' revolt: England 1381 ;
- The Arthurian Court of Richard II ;
- Plague, heresy, and the questioning spirit ;
- The passionate mystic: Margery Kempe ;
- The Canterbury Tales and the specter of death ;
- The plague and us: reaching across time.