Filmmakers for the prosecution, plus Nuremberg : its lesson for today
DVD - 2023
Adapted from Sandra Schulberg's monograph, Filmmakers for the Prosecution retraces the hunt for film evidence that could convict the Nazis at the Nuremberg Trial. The searchers were two sons of Hollywood brothers Budd and Stuart Schulberg serving under the command of OSS film chief John Ford. The motion pictures they presented in the courtroom became part of the official record and shape our understanding of the Holocaust to this day. Seventy-five years after the trial, French journalist and filmmaker Jean-Christophe Klotz returns to the German salt mines where films lay burning, uncovers never-before-seen footage, and interviews key figures to unravel why the resulting film about the trial Nuremberg: Its Lesson for Today by Stuart Sch...ulberg - was intentionally buried by the U.S. Department of War. Klotz's riveting film also fills in the gaps of how these groundbreaking materials were sourced and pose still-pertinent questions about documentarians' obligations to posterity. Also included on this disc is one of the greatest courtroom dramas in history, Nuremberg: Its Lesson for Today (1948). It shows how the international prosecutors built their case against the top Nazi war criminals using the Nazis' films and records. The trial established the "Nuremberg principles," laying the foundation for all subsequent trials for crimes against the peace, war crimes, and crimes against humanity.
- Documentary films
Video recordings for the hearing impaired
New York, NY :
- Corporate Authors
- Corporate Authors
- Other Authors
- , , , , , , , ,
- Widescreen and full screen
- Item Description
- Filmmakers for the Prosecution adapted from Sandra Schulberg's article of the same name.
Filmmakers for the prosecution: Originally released as a motion picture in 2021. Nuremberg : its lesson for today: Originally released as a motion picture in 1948; the 2009 Schulberg/Waletzy restoration.
Filmmakers for the prosecution: Wide screen (1.66:1) ; Nuremberg : its lesson for today: Full screen (1.33:1)
Special features: Filmmakers for the prosecution booklet essay by Sandra Schulberg (only accessible via DVD-ROM); Additional interviews with Michael Berenbaum, Benjamin Ferencz, Annette Insdorf, and Stuart Liebman; trailers.
- Physical Description
- 1 videodisc (139 min.) : sound, color and black and white ; 4 3/4 in
- DVD, all regions; wide screen and full screen; 2.0 stereo.
- Production Credits
- Filmmakers for the prosecution: Music, Jean-Christophe Klotz ; cinematography, Alberto Marquardt, Olivier Raffet, Nancy Schreiber ; editor, Laure-Alice Hervé.
Nuremberg : its lesson for today: editor, Joseph Zigman ; music, Hans-Otto Borgmann.
- Filmmakers for the prosecution (60 min.) / Kino Lorber presents ; produced by ARTE France, Zadig Productions, KG Productions, Schulberg Productions ; producers, Céline Nusse, Paul Rozenberg, Sandra Schulberg ; written and directed by Jean-Christophe Klotz
- Nuremberg : its lesson for today (79 min.) / Schulberg Productions & Metropolis Productions present ; written & directed by Stuart Schulberg ; produced by Pare Lorentz & Stuart Schulberg.