Megathreats Ten dangerous trends that imperil our future, and how to survive them
Book - 2022
"Renowned economist Nouriel Roubini was nicknamed "Dr. Doom," until his prediction of the 2008 housing crisis and Great Recession came true--when it was too late. Now he is back with a much scarier prediction, one that we ignore at our peril. There are no fewer than ten overlapping, interconnected threats that are so serious, he calls them Megathreats. From the worst debt crisis the world has ever seen, to governments pumping out too much money, to borders that are blocked to workers and to many shipments of goods, to the rise of a new superpower competition between China and the U.S., to climate change that strikes directly at our most populated cities, we are facing not one, not two, but ten causes of disaster. There is a s...light chance we can avoid them, if we come to our senses--but we must act now." --
New York :
Little, Brown and Company
- Main Author
- First edition
- Physical Description
- vi, 312 pages ; 25 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part I. Debt, Demographics, and Dangerous Policies
- Chapter 1. The Mother of All Debt Crises
- Chapter 2. Private and Public Failures
- Chapter 3. The Demographic Time Bomb
- Chapter 4. The Easy Money Trap and the Boom-Bust Cycle
- Chapter 5. The Coming Great Stagflation
- Part II. Financial, Trade, Geopolitical, Technological, and Environmental Catastrophes
- Chapter 6. Currency Meltdowns and Financial Instability
- Chapter 7. The End of Globalization?
- Chapter 8. The AI Threat
- Chapter 9. The New Cold War
- Chapter 10. An Uninhabitable Planet?
- Part III. Can This Disaster Be Averted?
- Chapter 11. Dark Destiny
- Chapter 12. A More "Utopian" Future?