Pandemic, Inc Chasing the capitalists and thieves who got rich while we got sick
Book - 2022
"The United States federal government has spent over $10 billion on medical protective wear and emergency supplies, yet as COVID-19 swept the nation, life-saving equipment such as masks, gloves, and ventilators was nearly impossible to find. In this brilliant nonfiction thriller, award-winning investigative reporter J. David McSwane takes us behind the scenes to reveal how traders, contractors, and healthcare companies used one of the darkest moments in American history to fill their pocket...s. Determined to uncover how this was possible, he spent over a year on private jets and in secret warehouses, traveling from California to Chicago to Washington DC, to interview both the most treacherous of profiteers and the victims of their crimes. Pandemic, Inc. is the story of the fraudster who signed a multi-million-dollar contract with the government to provide lifesaving PPE, and yet never came up with a single mask. The Navy admiral at the helm of the national hunt for additional medical resources. The Department of Health whistleblower who championed masks early on and was silenced by the government and conservative media. And the politician who callously slashed federal emergency funding and gutted the federal PPE stockpile." -- Amazon.
New York :
One Signal Publishers/Atria
- First One Signal Publishers/Atria Books hardcover edition
- Physical Description
- xi, 317 pages ; 24 cm
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 265-297) and index.
- Main Author
- The private jet
- "Hindsight just isn't what it used to be"
- "We're in deep shit"
- Into a gunfight with a box of tissues
- "It's like being on eBay with fifty other states"
- "You might be buying a Ferrari"
- Release the billions
- Buccaneers and pirates
- History rhymes
- "Juaunita Ramos is either a stripper in Atlanta or a Native American medicine woman"
- How to make millions selling masks, in thee easy steps!
- "I'm not going to take any of this"
- "It works as hand sanitizer, too!"
- "Greg Abbott cares about Greg Abbott"
- "What's your problem, man?"
- Money for nothing, checks for free
- Dazed and confused
- Lucrative lies
- Underlying conditions
- "Capitalism, baby"
- The death pits
- A pirate walks the plank.