Consequences of capitalism Manufacturing discontent and resistance
Book - 2021
Is there an alternative to capitalism? In this landmark text Chomsky and Waterstone chart a critical map for a more just and sustainable society. 'Covid-19 has revealed glaring failures and monstrous brutalities in the current capitalist system. It represents both a crisis and an opportunity. Everything depends on the actions that people take into their own hands.' How does politics shape our world, our lives and our perceptions? How much of 'common sense' is actually driven ...by the ruling classes' needs and interests? And how are we to challenge the capitalist structures that now threaten all life on the planet? Consequences of Capitalism exposes the deep, often unseen connections between neoliberal 'common sense' and structural power. In making these linkages, we see how the current hegemony keeps social justice movements divided and marginalized. And, most importantly, we see how we can fight to overcome these divisions.
[London, England,] UK :
- Physical Description
- xiii, 388 pages : illustrations, graph ; 24 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Main Author
- Other Authors
- Common sense, the taken-for-granted, and power
- The current common sense: capitalist realism
- Capitalism and militarism
- Capitalism versus the environment
- Neoliberalism, globalization, and financialization
- Resistance and response
- Social change
- Capitalism and Covid-19: a concluding coda.