Hail Mary The rise and fall of the National Women's Football League
Book - 2021
"In the early 1970s, a businessman had a brilliant idea: why not start a women's football league? It was conceived as a gimmick and a publicity stunt to capitalize on the popularity of Second Wave Feminism and the passage of Title IX. He recruited women across the country; much to his surprise, he learned that women really wanted to play, and play hard. Hail Mary is the story of the unlikely rise of the National Women's Football League and the players who loved a game that society... told them they shouldn't be playing. In fourteen cities around the country, these athletes broke new barriers and showed adoring crowds what women were capable of physically. Thousands of people came to watch-perhaps to gawk at first-but then, in the end, to cheer. Hail Mary is a rollicking chronicle of fearless women-players on the Detroit Demons, the Toledo Troopers, the LA Dandelions, and more-bringing us into the stadiums where they broke records, the small-town bars where they were recruited, and the backrooms where the league was conceived, and where it ended. Hail Mary is a celebration of women athletes and their fight on and off the field, and a powerful story of the league that changed their lives and the course of women's sports"--
New York :
Bold Type Books
- First edition
- Physical Description
- vii, 290 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Main Author
- Other Authors
- Part I : game day (1976).
- A heated contest
- A rivalry Is born
- Part II : history (1896-1970).
- The origins of women's football
- The "PT Barnum" of women's football
- Part III : the birth of the NWFL (1971-1974).
- The troopers' reign begins
- Dallas enters the fold : dandelions bloom
- The NWFL kicks off
- False start
- Part IV : the heyday of the NWFL (1975-1978).
- Troopers face their demons
- Down in Oklahoma
- Here come the Herricanes
- Media miscues
- Tales of redemption
- Part V : the downfall of the NWFL (1979-1988).
- Cracks in the foundation
- One last gasp
- Part VI : the legacy of the NWFL.
- Unwitting activists
- Where does women's football go from here?
- List of NWFL teams/divisions/years.