DVD - 2021
Master filmmaker Satyajit Ray explores the conflict between fanaticism and free will in Devi (The Goddess), issuing a subversively modern challenge to religious orthodoxy and patriarchal power structures. In the waning days of mid-nineteenth-century India's feudal system, after his son leaves for Kolkata to complete his studies, a wealthy rural landowner is seized by the notion that his beloved daughter-in-law (a hauntingly sad-eyed Sharmila Tagore) is the reincarnation of the goddess Kali ...a delusion that proves devastating to the young woman and those around her. The opulently stylized compositions and the chiaroscuro lighting by cinematographer Subrata Mitra heighten the entrancing expressionistic intensity of this domestic tragedy, making for an experience that is both sublime and shattering.
- Criterion collection ;
- Feature films
Video recordings for the hearing impaired
[Irvington, NY] :
The Criterion Collection
- DVD special edition ; DVD edition
- Item Description
- Based on the story by Prabhat Kumar Mukhopadhyay. Also based on an idea aby Rabindranath Tagore.
Originally released as a motion picture in 1960.
Special features: New program featuring interviews with Sharmila Tagore and Soumitra Chatterjee recorded in 2013; new video essay by Meheli Sen.
- Physical Description
- 1 videodisc (99 min.) : sound, black and white ; 4 3/4 in
- DVD; region 1, NTSC; full screen (1.37:1); mono.
- Production Credits
- Cinematography, Subrata Mitra ; editor, Dulal Dutta ; music, Ustad Ali Akbar Khan.
- Corporate Author
- Other Authors
- , , , , , ,