Constructing the terrorist threat Islamophobia, the media & the War on Terror
Streaming video - 2017
Deepa Kumar, one of the natiońђةs foremost scholars on Islamophobia, looks at how Muslims have become the predominant face of terror in U.S. news and entertainment media -- even though terror attacks by white extremists have far outnumbered attacks by Muslim Americans since 9/11.Arguing that racialized threats have long been used to induce moral panics and advance anti-democratic policies, Kumar explores how ruling elites have been raising the specter of Arab and Islamic terror since the 197...0s to justify militarism, war, and curbs on civil liberties. From the Iran-Hostage Crisis in 1979 to the ́ђجwar on terroŕђح after 9/11 to the rise of ISIS today, she argues that Americans have been taught to fear Muslims out of all proportion to reality, presenting a wealth of eye-opening data about the actual threat level posed by Muslim terrorists in the United States. Constructing the Terrorist Threat offers a clear-headed assessment of terrorism that couldńђةt be more timely and urgent given the politics of fear that now dominate our political landscape.
- Online Access
- A Kanopy streaming video
[San Francisco, California, USA] :
Media Education Foundation
- Item Description
- Lecture given at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Physical Description
- 1 online resource (streaming video file) (55 minutes): digital, .flv file, sound
- Playing Time
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Grade 9-adult.
- Production Credits
- Written by Deepa Kumar. Directed by Sut Jhally. Executive Producer: Sut Jhally. Producers: Loretta Alper, Jeremy Earp, Jason Young. Editor: Jason Young. Director of Photography: David Rabinovitz.
- Access restricted to subscribers.
AVAILABLE FOR USE ONLY BY IOWA CITY AND RESIDENTS OF THE CONTRACTING GOVERNMENTS OF JOHNSON COUNTY, UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, HILLS, AND LONE TREE (IA).
- Other Authors
- , , ,