Sink or swim
Streaming video - 2014
A contemporary classic and a landmark in autobiographical filmmaking, 'Sink or Swim' is an unflinching account of the highly charged relationship between a daughter and her father. Through a series of twenty-six short stories, a young girl chronicles the childhood events that shaped her ideas about fatherhood, family relations, work and play. As the stories unfold, a dual portrait emerges: that of a father who cared more for his career than for his family, and of a daughter who was dee...ply affected by his behavior. Working in counterpoint to the forceful text are sensual black and white images that depict both the extraordinary and ordinary events of daily life. This formally complex and emotionally intense film is fraught with tension, ambivalence and love. --Kanopy.
- Films of Su Friedrich.
- Online Access
- A Kanopy streaming video
[San Francisco, California, USA] :
- Item Description
- This playlist incudes two Bonus Features: 'Cool hands, warm heart' and Scar tissue.
Awards: Grand Prix, Kino Awards, 1991 Melbourne Film Festival --Golden Gate Award, Best of "New Visions" Category, 1991 San Francisco Film Festival --Gold Jurors Choice Award, 1993 Charlotte Film and Video Festival --Best Experimental Film, 1991 USA Short Film and Video Festival --Special Jury Award, 1991 Atlanta Film Festival --Jurors Citation Award, 1991 Black Maria Film Festival.
- Physical Description
- 3 online resources (3 video files, 48 min.) : digital, stereo., sound, black & white, some color
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- AVAILABLE FOR USE ONLY BY IOWA CITY AND RESIDENTS OF THE CONTRACTING GOVERNMENTS OF JOHNSON COUNTY, UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, HILLS, AND LONE TREE (IA).
- Main Author
- Corporate Author
- Ep. 1. Sink or swim: A contemporary classic and a landmark in autobiographical filmmaking, 'Sink or Swim' is an unflinching account of the highly charged relationship between a daughter and her father.
- ep. 2. Cool hands, warm heart: A study in performance, voyeurism and the spectator. Private acts become public spectacles on a stage in a crowded street as women perform the familiar rituals of daily life.
- ep. 3. Scar tissue uses two sets of images
- of men and women in midtown Manhattan and is structured so as to reproduce what is essential in the original event but also to undermine the original event.