Tomboy The surprising history and future of girls who dare to be different
Book - 2020
Based on the author's viral New York Times op-ed, a heartfelt celebration of the tomboy phenomenon and its implications for girlhood explores its origins in a Victorian ideal and role in shaping history, science and culture.
|2nd Floor||305.409/Davis||Checked In|
New York :
- First edition
- Physical Description
- xii, 319 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 273-305) and index.
- Main Author
- Introduction: A tomboy emerges
- The creation of the pink/blue divide. What the heck is a tomboy, anyway? ; Tomboys? Okay! Sissies? No way! ; Sporty Space dropkicks the tomboy ; Ode to Jo
- Why tomboys do what they do. The best of both worlds ; Are tomboys born or made? ; Beware the end of the princess phase ; Why do tomboys wear boys' clothes? ; Parenting between the pink and blue
- Tomboys, all grown up. What happens to tomboys when puberty hits? (A brief introduction to a giant question) ; I used to be a tomboy. Now I'm a full-grown lesbian. ; War of the words: tomboy or trans boy? ; Breaking the binary ; Is it time to retire the word "tomboy"?
- Conclusion: The pink ponytail.