La dolce vita
DVD - 2014
The biggest hit from the most popular Italian filmmaker of all time, the film rocketed Federico Fellini to international mainstream success, ironically, by offering a damning critique of the culture of stardom. A look at the darkness beneath the seductive lifestyles of Rome's rich and glamorous; the film follows a notorious celebrity journalist during a hectic week spent on the peripheries of the spotlight.
- Criterion collection ;
- Comedy films
Video recordings for the hearing impaired
[Irvington, N.Y.] :
The Criterion Collection
- Two-DVD special edition ; DVD edition
- Item Description
- Wide screen (2.35:1).
Originally produced as an Italian motion picture in 1960.
Special features: Disc 1. New 4k digital restoration by the Film Foundation -- Disc 2. The eye & the beholder (new visual essay by filmmaker :: kogonada that explores the film's mobile camera); Federico Fellini (1965 interview conducted by Irving R. Levine for NBC News, Fellini discusses his dislike of discussing or analyzing his own films, the work of other directors, the ideal circumstances for making a film and his approach to collaboration); Lina Wertmüller (new interview with film director and Fellini collaborator Lina Wertmüller); David Forgacs (new interview with scholar David Forgacs about the film); Antonello Sarno (new interview with Italian journalist Antonello Sarno about the film, with focus on fashions depicted in the film); Marcello Mastroianni (1963 audio interview with the actor by film historian Gideon Bachmann, discusses the film and Mastroianni's relationship with the director); Felliniana (photo gallery of La dolce vita ephemera from the collection of Don Young).
- Physical Description
- 2 videodiscs (174 min.) : sound, black and white ; 4 3/4 in
- DVD, NTSC, region 1; widescreen 2.35:1, 16x9 presentation; Dolby digital monaural.
- Winner, 1960 Cannes Film Festival Palme d'Or: Federico Fellini; 1960 ; David di Donatello Awards Migliore Regista (Best Director): Federico Fellini ; Academy Award, 1961 Best Costume Design, Piero Gherardi.
- Production Credits
- Director of photography, Otello Martelli ; editor, Leo Cattozzo ; music by Nino Rota ; musical director, Franco Ferrara ; executive producer, Franco Magli ; production designer and costume designer, Piero Gherardi.
- Corporate Authors
- , , ,
- Other Authors
- , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- Disc 1. [The film]
- Disc 2. [Special features].