Book - 2019
"From the National Book Award-winning author of Arctic Dreams and Of Wolves and Men, an epic, revelatory work that recollects the travels around the world and the encounters--human, animal, and natural--that have shaped an extraordinary life. Taking us nearly from pole to pole--and across decades of lived experience--Barry Lopez gives us his most far-ranging yet personal work to date, in a book that moves through six regions of the world: from western Oregon to the High Arctic; from the Gal...ápagos to the Kenyan desert; from Botany Bay in Australia to finally, unforgettably, the ice shelves of Antarctica. Lopez also probes the long history of humanity's quests and explorations, including the Paleoeskimos who trekked across northern Canada, the colonialists who plundered central Africa, an Enlightenment-era Englishman who sailed the Pacific, a Native American emissary who found his way into Japan during the time of the shoguns, and today's ecotourists in the tropics. Throughout his journeys--to some of the hottest, coldest, and most desolate places on Earth--and via friendships he forges along the way with scientists, archaeologists, artists, and local residents, Lopez searches for meaning and purpose in a broken world. Vivid, lyrical, and capacious, voicing concern and frustration along with humanity and hope, Horizon is a crowning achievement by one of America's most necessary voices."--Dust jacket.
- Introduction: Looking for a ship. Mamaroneck ; To go/to see ; Remember ; Talismans
- Cape Foulweather. Coast of Oregon ; Eastern shore of the North Pacific Ocean ; Western North America
- Skraeling Island. Mouth of Alexandra Fjord ; East coast of Ellesmere Island ; Nunavut ; Canada
- Puerto Ayora. Isla Santa Cruz ; Archipiélago de Colón ; Eastern Equatorial Pacific
- Jackal Camp. Turkwel River Basin ; Western Lake Turkana Uplands ; Eastern Equatorial Africa
- Port Arthur to Botany Bay. State of Tasmania ; Northern shore of the Southern Ocean ; Southeastern Australia ; State of New South Wales ; Western shore of the South Pacific
- Graves Nunataks to Port Famine Road. Queen Maud Mountains ; Central Transantarctic Mountains ; Northern Edge of the Polar Plateau ; Antarctica ; Brunswick Peninsula ; Shore of the Strait of Magellan ; Southern Chile.