Building a better vocabulary
Sound recording - 2015
This course will boost your vocabulary, whether you want to enhance your personal lexicon, write or speak more articulately in professional settings, or advance your knowledge of the English language. For anyone who has ever grasped for the perfect word at a particular moment, this course provides a research-based and enjoyable method for improving your vocabulary.
- Great courses.
Chantilly, VA :
The Teaching Company
- [PDF workbook version]
- Item Description
- "The Great courses, Topic: Professional ; Subtopic: Communication skills"--Cover.
"Course no. 9373"--Disc labels.
36 lectures lasting 30 minutes each.
Accompanying CD-ROM contains course workbook in PDF format.
- Physical Description
- 18 audio discs : sound, digital ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 computer optical disc (4 3/4 in.)
- Compact disc; PDF requires Adobe Reader or PDF reader.
- Main Author
- Corporate Author
- Disc 1. Five principles for learning vocabulary
- The spelling-meaning connection
- Disc 2. Words for lying, swindling, and conniving
- Words that express annoyance and disgust
- Disc 3. Fighting words and peaceful words
- Going beyond dictionary meanings
- Disc 4. Wicked words
- Words for beginnings and endings
- Disc 5. Words expressing fear, love, and hatred
- Words for the everyday and the elite
- Disc 6. Words from gods and heroes
- Humble words and prideful words
- Disc 7. High-frequency Greek and Latin roots
- Words relating to belief and trust
- Disc 8. Words for the way we talk
- Words for praise, criticism, and nonsense
- Disc 9. Eponyms from literature and history
- Thinking, teaching, and learning words
- Disc 10. Words for the diligent and the lazy
- Words that break and words that join
- Disc 11. Some high-utility Greek and Latin affixes
- Cranky words and cool words
- Disc 12. Words for courage and cowardice
- Reviewing vocabulary through literature
- Disc 13. Words for killing and cutting
- A vocabulary grab bag
- Disc 14. Words for words
- Specialty words for language
- Disc 15. Nasty words and nice words
- Words for the really big and the very small
- Disc 16. Spelling as a vocabulary tool
- A medley of new words
- Disc 17. Building vocabulary through games
- Words English borrowed and never returned
- Disc 18. More foreign loan words
- Forgotten words and neologisms.