Run forever Your complete guide to healthy lifetime running
Book - 2018
Everyone knows how to run-- it's naturally wired into your body. But trendy gadgets and obsessive dogmas have overwhelmed this simple, intuitive activity. Burfoot shares practical advice on how to run with greater joy and health for an entire lifetime. He shares tips on how to motivate yourself, avoid injuries, increase speed and endurance, and reach your goals.
- section 1. Getting started: Essay: My first (horrid) run ; Brain training : your most important muscle ; Minutes, not miles ; The wisdom of slow ; The power of two : walking + running ; The running habit ; Women's running ; The best shoe for you ; Flat and fabulous; The truth about running form ; Relaxed running ; Safety first : no headphones ; Postrun snacking not allowed
- section 2. Nutrition for runners: Essay: Lab experiment ; The kingdom of carbohydrates ; Healthy fats ; Muscle-building protein ; Water, the essential fluid ; Whole grains ; Food frequency and timing ; Tea and coffee ; Probiotics ; Running and weight loss ; Vitamins and supplements ; The vegetarian or vegan way ; The super-salad solution
- section 3. Going farther: Essay: Unconventional wisdom ; The 10 percent rule ; Training partners ; Cutback weeks ; Run-walk for distance ; Long runs ; Long-run hydration ; Carbohydrate loading ; Yasso 800s ; Half-marathon training ; Marathon training
- section 4. Dealing with injuries: Essay: Learning the hard way ; The injury conundrum ; Training errors ; Cross-training ; Stretching and strengthening ; Shin splints ; Knee injuries ; Achilles tendinitis ; The perils of pain pills ; Blisters ; A proven warm-up routine
- section 5. Getting faster: Essay: Running the gamut ; Interval training ; The Fartlek System ; Races as training ; Hill training for speed ; Downhill training ; The 30-20-10 workout ; Run-walk for speed ; The prerace taper ; Tempo training ; Out-and-back speed ; Speed variety and the magic of three
- section 6. Running forever: Essay: A day to remember ; Don't stop, ever ; The hill-running elixir ; Lose ten pounds ; Adaptive excellence ; Running and writing ; No more marathons ; Run-walk for life ; Total body strength ; The power of positive thinking ; Don't stop, ever. Part II.
Everyone knows how to run-- it's naturally wired into your body. But trendy gadgets and obsessive dogmas have overwhelmed this simple, intuitive activity. Burfoot shares practical advice on how to run with greater joy and health for an entire lifetime. He shares tips on how to motivate yourself, avoid injuries, increase speed and endurance, and reach your goals.Review by Publisher Summary 2
Shares practical advice and wisdom on the simplicity of running, offering tips on self-motivation, avoiding injuries, increasing speed and endurance, and reaching goals.Review by Publisher Summary 3
In Run Forever, Boston Marathon winner and former Runner's World editor-in-chief Amby Burfoot shares practical advice and wisdom on how to run with greater joy and health for an entire lifetime.Everyone learns how to run at an early age. It's naturally wired into your body. Yet in recent years, running has become complicated by trendy gadgets and doctrine. With a Boston Marathon win and over 100,000 miles run on his resume, Amby Burfoot steers the sport back to its simple roots in Run Forever. From a warm and welcoming perspective, Burfoot provides clear, actionable guidance to runners of every age and ability level.Whether you are a beginner runner or experienced marathoner, Run Forever will show you how to motivate yourself, avoid injuries, increase speed and endurance, and reach your goals. Best of all, you'll enjoy optimal health throughout your life.