Emotional success The power of gratitude, compassion, and pride
Book - 2018
A pioneering psychologist reveals how three emotions can provide the surest, quickest route to success in any realm. A string of bestsellers have alerted us to the importance of grit - an ability to persevere and control one's impulses that is so closely associated with greatness. But no book yet has charted the most accessible and powerful path to grit: our prosocial emotions. These feelings - gratitude, compassion and pride - are easier to generate than the willpower and self-denial that ...underpin traditional approaches to grit. And, while willpower is quickly depleted, prosocial emotions actually become stronger the more we use them. These emotions have another crucial advantage: they're contagious. Those around us become more likely to apply them when we do.
|2nd Floor||154.2/DeSteno||Checked In|
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
- Item Description
- "An Eamon Dolan book."
- Physical Description
- viii, 227 pages ; 24 cm
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 204-220) and index.
- Main Author
- Introduction: Self-control, success, and the road not taken
- Setting the stage. The problem: why and how we all devalue the future ; The problem with the solution: why willpower, executive function, and reason set you up for failure
- The emotional toolbox. Gratitude is about the future, not the past ; Compassion builds inner strength and inner peace ; Pride and perseverance
- Value added. Being social means being successful ; Scaling out: reaching high means reaching out ; Scaling up: stimulating societal success
- Coda. The changing world of work.