New York, NY :
- Second edition
- Item Description
- Includes index.
- Physical Description
- 125 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), color map ; 24 cm
- [Webliography]: page 124.
- All aboard the Lucky Chum
- Introduction. Fear and folklore ; Prehistoric sharks ; It's a family affair ; Let's get acquainted ; Sense-itive souls
- Shark. Sea dogs ; Catnip ; Midsized mayhem ; Weird or what? ; Gentle giants ; Carpetsharks ; Black and white ; Yellow and blue ; Heads, he wins ; Tails, he wins, too ; Mako or break-o ; More mackerels ; El toro ; Tiger shark ; Great white
- Research. Shark attack! ; Attack map ; Shark superlatives ; List of species ; Conservation alert
- Media. The old man and the sea ; Moby Dick ; Jaws ; Finding Nemo ; Sharknado.
Gr 2–6—This engaging, enlightening scrapbook-style reference work covers anatomy, specific species, the myths and folklore surrounding sharks, and their depiction in the media. Though most of the content remains the same, the volume has been updated somewhat since the first iteration. A new section on conservation and taking action to help protect these vulnerable creatures lets readers consider how they can make a difference. A further reading section called "Read" has been relabeled "Media," and the films Finding Nemo and Sharknado have been added. Among the many visuals are charts that track the development of prehistoric creatures (both "landlubbers" and "seafarers"), ocean habitat maps, and excerpts from the Chondrichthyes Chronicles (a fictional newspaper that offers stories on topics such as the introduction of whale sharks to the Atlanta Aquarium). VERDICT Chances are that after multiple circulations, the 2008 edition may be looking a bit like a victim of the shark in Jaws. Libraries seeking to replace the earlier version should consider this selection, which provides readers a chance to learn more about these creatures and their impact on the world.—Beth McGuire, Hempfield Area School District, Greensburg, PA Copyright 2017 School Library Journal.
Refreshed with a new look, an updated edition of a highly visual, comprehensive reference for young enthusiasts profiles shark species ranging from the giant whale shark to the tiny pygmy shark, sharing engaging facts about their diets, behaviors and habitats.Review by Publisher Summary 2
A visual and comprehensive research manual and guide that will take kids from tropical paradise to the cold, dark depths, in search of the wildest, weirdest, and most wonderful sharks in the ocean, now refreshed with a new look.Kids can go on an around-the-world adventure to track the sea's most extraordinary predators with Sharkpedia, 2nd Edition. From the huge and harmless whale shark to the puny pygmy shark, these fascinating fish come in many shapes and sizes, and this guide will take kids from tropical paradise to the cold, dark depths of the ocean. Who gulps up tiny plankton? Who snatches unsuspecting seals mid-swim? Kids can see for themselves from the portholes of our trusty vessel or, if they dare, from behind the bars of a shark cage.So grab your scuba gear and get on the boat—we've got sharks to find with Sharkpedia, 2nd Edition.