This sporting life
DVD - 2007
Northern England, the early 1960's. Frank Machin is a coal miner who is mean, tough and ambitious enough to rise up and become an immediate professional rugby star. The rugby league team is run by local employer Weaver. Machin lodges with Mrs Hammond, whose husband was killed in an accident at Weaver's, but his impulsive and angry nature stop him from being able to reach her as he would like. He becomes increasingly frustrated with his situation. His situation is not helped by the more straightforward enticements of Mrs Weaver.
- Sports films
Video recordings for the hearing impaired
[Irvington, N.Y.] :
- Corporate Author
- Corporate Author
- Other Authors
- Special edition double-disc set ; widescreen
- Item Description
- Based on the novel by David Storey.
Originally released as a motion picture in 1963.
Special features include: Disc one: Audio commentary featuring Paul Ryan and screenwriter David Storey; theatrical trailer. Disc two: "Lindsay Anderson: lucky man?" (2004) documentary; new video interview with Anderson's first producer and close friend Lois Sutcliffe Smith; "Meet the pioneers" (1948), Anderson's first film; "Wakefield express" (1952), an early documentary; "Is that all there is?" (1993), Anderson's autobiographical final film ; plus, a booklet featuring a new essay by film scholar Neil Sinyard and an article by Anderson from 1963.
- Physical Description
- 2 videodiscs (134 min.) : sound, black and white ; 4 3/4 in
- DVD, region 1, widescreen (1.66:1, enhanced) presentation; Dolby Digital mono., restored High-Definition digital transfer, NTSC.
- MPAA rating: Not rated.
- Cannes Film Festival, 1963: Best Actor (Richard Harris)
- Production Credits
- Photography, Denys Coop ; editor, Peter Taylor ; music composer, Roberto Gerhard ; conductor, Jacques-Louis Monod.
- Disc one: The film
- Disc two: The supplements.