The good and beautiful God Falling in love with the God Jesus knows
Book - 2009
"We all have ideas that we tell ourselves about God and how he works in our lives. Some are true--but many are false. James Bryan Smith believes those thoughts determine not only who we are, but how we live. In fact, Smith declares, the most important thing about a person is what they think about God. The path to spiritual transformation begins here. At the end of each chapter you'll find an opportunity for soul training, engaging in spiritual practices that reinforce the biblical mess...ages on your mind and heart. Because the best way to make a complete and lasting change is to go through the material in community, small group discussion questions also accompany each chapter. Those who are leading apprentice groups will also find additional help and opportunities to interact with other leaders at the Apprentice website, www.apprenticeofjesus.com. This deep, loving and transformative book will help you discover the narratives that Jesus lived by--to know the Lord he knew and the kingdom he proclaimed--and to practice spiritual exercises that will help you grow in the knowledge of our good and beautiful God." -- from publsher's website.
- How to get the most out of this book
- What are you seeking?: soul training: sleep
- God is good: soul training: five minutes of silence and awareness of creation
- God is trustworthy: soul training: counting your blessings
- God is generous: soul training: praying Psalm 23
- God is love: soul training: Lectio divina
- God is holy: soul training: margin
- God is self-sacrificing: soul training: reading the Gospel of John
- God transforms: soul training: solitude
- How to make a pickle: soul training: slowing down.