|2nd Floor||362.5/Poverty||Checked In|
- Current controversies.
Farmington Hills, Michigan :
Greenhaven Press, A part of Gale, Cengage Learning
- Physical Description
- 211 pages ; 24 cm
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 197-202) and index.
- Other Authors
- Are poverty and homelessness serious problems? Poverty: an overview / Carmen DeNavas-Walt, Bernadette D. Proctor, and Jessica C. Smith ; Poverty in America is unacceptably high / Bernie Sanders ; Poverty is increasing among young families with children / Andrew M. Sum ; There is a housing affordability crisis in America / Patrick Markee ; Poverty has declined over the last few decades / Bruce D. Meyer and James X. Sullivan ; Poverty is not as high as the government claims it is / Bloomberg View ; Poverty and homelessness are not serious problems in America / Robert Rector and Rachel Sheffield
- Do government social assistance programs help the poor? Overview: the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program / Congressional Budget Office ; The official poverty stats are misleading: we're winning the war on poverty / Matthew Yglesias ; Government programs prevented a surge in poverty from the recession / Arloc Sherman ; Social security helps to reduce poverty among the elderly and disabled / Bernie Sanders ; Social assistance spending fails to reduce poverty / Michael Tanner ; Does government need to grow? / Andrew G. Biggs ; A hand up, not a hand out / Edwin J. Feulner
- How should poverty in America be addressed? Raising the minimum wage would help lower-income workers / Doug Hall and David Cooper ; Reducing income inequality is necessary to expand opportunity / Joseph E. Stiglitz ; Reducing income inequality will not necessarily help the poor be more economically mobile / James Q. Wilcon ; The state of poverty in America / Peter Edelman ; Why capitalism has an image problem / Charles Murray ; Marriage is a solution to ending poverty / Robert Rector and Rachel Sheffield ; Marriage is not the solution to ending poverty / Joy Moses
- What strategies would benefit the homeless in America? Investment in affordable housing is the best way to end homelessness / Mary Cunningham ; Increased funding is needed for federal low-income housing programs / Douglas Rice and Barbara Sard ; The solution to chronic homelessness is permanent supportive housing / National Alliance to End Homelessness ; Solutions/Bandow: handling America's homeless families / Doug Bandow ; Can Goldman Sachs help the homeless? / Margaret Wente ; Giving money to homeless panhandlers is not a solution to homelessness / Derek Thompson.
No reviews were found for this record.