The Makioka sisters / The Makioka sisters Sasameyuki
DVD - 2011
Japan, 1938. War is looming on the horizon, but the Makioka sisters are far more concerned with their domestic troubles. The sisters have taken over their family's kimono manufacturing business in Osaka, and are well off, traveling together to view the changing of the seasons--cherry blossoms in Kyoto, brilliant leaves in the fall. Tsuruko and Sachiko, the older two, have been married for quite some time. Tradition demands that they marry in order of their birth, but marrying off the shy, c...onservative Yukiko is proving difficult. These challenges have been particularly frustrating for youngest sister Taeko, who is eager to marry and move on with her life. A graceful study of a family at a turning point in history, and a poignant evocation of changing times and fading customs.
- Criterion collection ;
- Feature films
Video recordings for the hearing impaired
[Irvington, New York] :
- DVD edition
- Item Description
- Based on the story by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki.
Originally produced as a Japanese motion picture in 1983.
Credits for crew from enclosed booklet.
Special features: Original theatrical trailer (2 min.).
- Physical Description
- 1 videodisc (140 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in
- DVD ; NTSC, region 1 ; Dolby Digital mono. ; enhanced for 16:9 televisions.
- Production Credits
- Photography, Kiyoshi Hasegawa ; art [direction], Muraki Shinobu ; editor, Chizuko Osada ; music, Shinnosuke Okawa, Toshiyuki Watanabe.
- Classroom use may be subject to licensing restrictions.
- Corporate Author
- Other Authors
- , , , , , , , , , ,