We shall remain America through native eyes
DVD - 2009
"They were charismatic and forward thinking, imaginative and courageous, compassionate and resolute, and, at times, arrogant, vengeful and reckless. For hundreds of years, Native American leaders from Massasoit, Tecumseh, and Tenskwatawa, to Major Ridge, Geronimo, and Fools Crow valiantly resisted expulsion from their lands and fought the extinction of their culture. Sometimes, their strategies were militaristic, but more often they were diplomatic, spiritual, legal and political ... These ...five documentaries spanning almost four hundred years tell the story of pivotal moments in U.S. history from the Native American perspective, upending two-dimensional stereotypes of American Indians as simply ferocious warriors or peaceable lovers of the land" -- Container.
- Video recordings for the hearing impaired
[Alexandria, Va.] :
PBS Home Video
- Widescreen format
- Item Description
- Collective title from set container.
Originally produced as 5 documentary films in 2009 for the television program American experience.
DVD-ROM features (disc 1, PDF): episode-by-episode teachers' guide ( p. total); "An event kit for libraries" ( p.).
"Enhanced for 16x9 televisions" -- Set container.
Special features (disc 1, 88 min.): 4 "ReelNative" films by Native American filmmakers (21 min. total) including "Hill high low" by Michael David Little, "A freeway Christmas" by Rebecca Nelson, "Untitled" by Courtney Leonard, "Hope for bigger than 16 seconds" by Keely Curliss ; "PBS previews 'We shall remain'" (26 min.); 4 behind-the-scenes featurettes (8 min. total); 3 "Native Now" films about Native American issues (25 min. total); "'We shall remain' signature image" featurette (3 min.); deleted scene from "Tecumseh's vision" (5 min.).
- Physical Description
- 3 v. (DVD) (1 videodisc per volume) (394 min.) : sd., col. with b&w sequences ; 4 3/4 in
- Region 1; Dolby digital 5.1 surround.
DVD-ROM system requirements: computer with a DVD-ROM drive & Adobe Acrobat Reader software.
- Production Credits
- Principal photography, Paul Goldsmith ; additional cinematography, Michael Chin, Dustinn Craig, Stephen McCarthy, Allen Moore, Eddie Marritz ; edited by John Chimples, William A. Anderson, Aljernon Tunsil, Lillian Benson, Li-Shin Yu, Penny Elliott Hays ; music by John Kusiak.
- Corporate Authors
- Other Authors
- disc 1 (ca. 90 min. + special features). After the Mayflower / produced by Sharon Grimberg, Cathleen O'Connell, Mark Zwonitzer ; story by Sharon Grimberg and Anne Makepeace ; telescript by Sharon Grimberg and Mark Zwonitzer ; directed by Chris Eyre ; an American Experience film, in association with Apograph Productions Inc., Tecumseh LLC and Native American Public Telecommunications
- disc 2 (ca. 180 min.): Tecumseh's vision / written and produced by Ric Burns ; directed by Ric Burns and Chris Eyre ; a Tecumseh LLC film for American Experience, in association with Native American Public Telecommunications
- Trail of Tears / produced by Mark Zwonitzer, Rob Rapley ; written by Mark Zwonitzer ; directed by Chris Eyre ; reacreations produced by Jennifer Pearce ; an Apograph Productions Inc. film for American Experience, in association with Tecumseh LLC and Native American Public Telecommunications
- disc 3 (ca. 180 min.): Geronimo / written, produced and directed by Dustinn Craig and Sarah Colt ; an American Experience film, in association with Native American Public Telecommunications
- Wounded Knee / written by Marcia Smith ; produced and directed by Stanley Nelson ; co-produced by Julianna Brannum ; a Firelight Media film for American Experience, in association with Native American Public Telecommunications.