The long 19th century European history from 1789 to 1917
DVD - 2005
An overview of European history, from the impact of the French and Industrial Revolutions, into the "unifications" of Italy and Germany in the 1850s and 1860s, followed by the spread of industrialism and nationalism into Europe toward the end of the 19th century. The course concludes with the events that led to World War I and the impact that war had on contemporaries and the following generation.
2nd Floor Show me where
- Great courses
Chantilly, Va. :
- Physical Description
- 3 v. (2 videodiscs per volume) (ca. 1080 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in. + 3 course guidebooks (22 cm.)(1 book per volume)
- Region 1.
- Main Author
- Corporate Author
- v. 1 : Disc 1. The long 19th century ; The legacy of the past, the Old Regime ; The Age of Revolution, 1789-1848 ; The French Revolution ; The Napoleonic Era, 1799-1815
- The first Industrial Revolution, 1760-1850
- Disc 2. The Era of Metternich, 1815-1848 ; The Revolution of 1848 ; Europe, 1850-1871, an overview ; The Crimean War, 1853-1856 ; From Napoleon to Napoleon
- France, 1815-1852 ; Napoleon III, an evaluation.
- v. 2 : Disc 3. Italy on the eve, an overview ; Cavour and Napoleon III, "Unifying" ; Germany on the eve ; Age of Bismarck, creating the German Empire ; The British way ; The Russian experience, 1789-1881
- Disc 4. The apogee of Europe, 1870-1914 ; The industrialization of Europe ; The Socialist response ; The longest hatred, European antisemitism ; England, 1868-1914, liberalism to democracy ; The Third Republic, France, 1870-1914.
- v. 3 : Disc 5. Bismarckian and Wilhelminian Germany ; Flawed states, Austria-Hungary and Italy ; Russia, Turkey and the Balkans ; Bismarck dominates Europe, 1870-1890 ; The "new" imperialism ; The diplomacy of imperialism, 1890-1907
- Disc 6. Europe in crisis, 1908-1914, outbreak of war ; The origins of World War I ; The great war, a military overview ; The home front during total war ; The impact of World War I, new world disorder ; Looking back, thinking ahead.