The sound barrier From silence to sound
Streaming video - 2015
In 1996, Dr. Laura Viani carried out Ireland's first cochlear implant in Dublin's Beaumont Hospital. She now heads a world class team of surgeons, audiologists, and speech and language therapists. Over two decades, the Irish National Cochlear Implant Programme has profoundly changed the lives of over 1,000 Irish patients. A cochlear implant is an electronic device that allows the deaf and those who are hard-of-hearing to experience sound, bypassing the sensory hair cells of the cochlea... to send signals directly to the auditory nerve. Filmed over a year, The Sound Barrier follows a number of people who have decided to receive a cochlear implant. The cameras capture their remarkable journey from silence to sound.
- Video recordings for the hearing impaired
- Online Access
- Instantly available on hoopla.
[United States] :
Dreamscape Media, LLC
- Physical Description
- 1 online resource (1 video file (approximately 52 min.)) : sd., col
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Not rated.
- Production Credits
- Directed by Liam Mcgrath.
- AVAILABLE FOR USE ONLY BY IOWA CITY AND RESIDENTS OF THE CONTRACTING GOVERNMENTS OF JOHNSON COUNTY, UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, HILLS, AND LONE TREE (IA).
- Corporate Author
- Other Authors