Tales of the mighty code talkers
Book - 2016
"There has been a great deal of writing the past several decades about Native American Code Talkers of World War Two. The published works have been about Navajos and the tremendous contribution they made in the Pacific campaigns of the war. What is often overlooked is the role played in both World Wars by men of other tribes. There were Cherokee, Choctaw, Comanche, Creek and other tribal representatives with their languages involved as well. Tales of the Mighty Code Talkers, a graphic anthology of historically based stories, begins to fill that void. Seven stories -- two by the book's editor, Arigon Starr, dealing with Choctaw and Comanche code talkers, one by Roy Boney, Jr. on Cherokees, one by Johnnie Diacon on Creeks, and one b...y Jonathan Nelson on Navajos, plus stories from Lee Francis IV and Michael Sheyahshe -- provide an excellent rendering of the subject."
- Comic books, strips, etc
Comics (Graphic works)
Albuquerque, NM :
Native Realities LLC
- Other Authors
- Item Description
- Approved by the Indigenous Comics Code Authority.
- Physical Description
- volumes : chiefly color illustrations ; 27 cm
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Native America code talkers then and now / Geary Hobson
- Publisher's note / Lee Francis IV
- Prologue : homeplace / words Lee Francis III ; art, Arigon Starr
- "We speak in secret" / story, art, colors and letters by Roy Boney, Jr.
- "Annumpa Luma: code talker / words, art, color and letters by Arigon Starr
- "Code: love" / words by Lee Francis IV; art, color and letters by Arigon Starr
- "PFC Joe" / words, art and colors by Jonathan Nelson ; additional colors and letters by Arigon Starr
- "Mission: Alaska" / story and inks by Johnnie Diacon ; colors and letters by Arigon Starr
- "Trade secrets" / pencils and inks by Theo Tso ; words, colors and letters by Arigon Starr
- Korean War Caddo" / original concept by Michael Sheyahshe ; additional colors, letters by Arigon Starr
- Epilogue: legacy / words Arigon Starr; art Renee Nejo
- The history of the code talkers / by Lee Francis IV
- Coding stories / illustrations by Weshoyot Alvitre
- Selected bibliography
- Selected filmography
- Editor's note / Arigon Starr