Emperors' treasures Chinese art from the National Palace Museum, Taipei
Book - 2016
"Emperors' Treasures features artworks from the renowned National Palace Museum, Taipei. It encompasses paintings, calligraphy, bronzes, ceramics, lacquer ware, jades, and textiles exemplifying the finest craftsmanship and imperial taste. The Chinese art book book explores the identities of eight Chinese rulers--seven emperors and one empress--who reigned from the early 12th through early 20th centuries. They are portrayed in a story line that highlights artworks of their eras, from the dignified Song to the coarse yet subtle Yuan, and from the brilliant Ming until the final, dazzling Qing period. Emperors' Treasures examines each ruler's distinct contribution to the arts and how each developed his or her aesthetic and c...onnoisseurship"--
San Francisco :
Asian Art Museum
- First edition
- Physical Description
- xvii, 254 pages : illustrations ; 32 cm
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 244-248) and index.
- Imperial Art Collections and Transitions in China / Ho Chuan-hsin
- Exceptional Emperors: The Antiquities Collections of Huizong and Qianlong / Tianlong Jiao
- A Millennium of Imperial Collecting and Patronage / Alfreda Murck
- Catalogue of the Exhibition. Song Dynasty (960-1279): A Great Patron Leads China's Renaissance / He Li ; Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368): Mongol Rule Captures a Rustic Aesthetic / He Li ; Ming Dynasty (1368-1644): Rulers Restore a Bright (Ming) Culture / He Li ; Qing Dynasty (1644-1911): Manchu Emperors and an Empress attain Extravagant Art / He Li.
Review by Library Journal Review