- Large print ed
- Item Description
- Originally published: New York : Random House, 2012.
- Physical Description
- 929 p. (large print) : ill., maps ; 25 cm
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Main Author
- A German princess
- A painful marriage
- Seduction, motherhood and confrontation
- "The time has come!"
- Empress of Russia
- Potemkin and favoritism
- "My name is Catherine the Second".
Presents a reconstruction of the eighteenth-century empress's life that covers her efforts to engage Russia in the cultural life of Europe, her creation of the Hermitage, and her numerous scandal-free romantic affairs.Review by Publisher Summary 2
The Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer of Peter the Great presents a reconstruction of the 18th-century empress's life that includes coverage of such topics as her efforts to engage Russia in the cultural life of Europe, her creation of the Hermitage and her numerous scandal-free romantic affairs. (biography & autobiography).